Volunteer with Refugees in Germany: In recent years, Germany has hosted nearly one million refugees who have come from countries such as Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Albania, Mali, Somalia, Ghana, Cameron and many others. The ongoing flow of refugees has made Germany more diverse since people from various backgrounds and cultures are now residing in the country. Many individuals around the world are eager to get in touch with refugees who were forced to flee their home countries. If you have been interested in volunteering with refugees in Europe, then this program is one to consider.
Volunteer with Refugees in Germany is a great opportunity for those who want to work, interact, and engage with refugees in Germany. This program will grant you the opportunity to organize and participate in activities and events for refugees in Halle, Germany.
Many refugees strongly believe in the importance of education to improve their situation in Germany and better integrate themselves in German society. That is why the Excellence Center provides social, educational, and community activities for refugees in Halle to participate in. These activities are mainly for children and the youth. As international volunteers engage in these activities, they will simultaneously be learning about the refugee situation in Germany, see their living conditions, and learn about how refugees are integrating into a new society.
What will I do exactly?
As a participant of this program, you will do the following:
- Participate in organized activities for refugees, mainly for children and the youth. These activities include entertainment activities, sport activities, and educational activities.
- Meet refugees and learn about their situation and their living conditions.
What type of activities I will be participating in?
- Educational activities
International volunteers will create and organize activities that are aimed at educating children, as well as adults. These activities include English language sessions that focus on conversation. During these sessions, the emphasis will not be on teaching grammar. We would like those we work with to learn by doing. For instance, by the mean of presentations, games, group work, etc.
- Entertainment activities
The entertainment activities that you will organize and participating in may include musical activities, drawing sessions, sports activities, educational games, and making arts and crafts. However, do not worry about organizing these on your own. You will not do it alone. Our local volunteers will work alongside you to arrange these entertainment activities.
Where does the program take place?
The program takes place at the Excellence Center in Halle (Saale) city. Halle is a city in the southern region of the German state of Saxony-Anhalt. Halle is an economic and educational center in eastern Germany. The University of Halle-Wittenberg, for example, is the largest university in Saxony-Anhalt and one of the oldest universities in Germany.
Halle (Saale) has an elegant city center with many green areas and narrow streets to explore. The architecture has been well-preserved, making Halle a lovely place to visit in Germany. In addition, there are many beautiful places to see along the Saale River, which is a river which runs through the city.
Why Halle (Saale)?
Halle is a German city that has received a large number of refugees. This makes the city a very diverse place to visit because of how many different cultures are present within the city. Internationals also add to the diversity. The university in Halle is an educational destination that attracts many international students to Halle.
Refugees, immigrants, and foreigners all contribute to the beauty of cultures found in the city. During your time here, you will be able to meet and interact with many different people from different countries.
Are you eligible for the program?
Volunteer with Refugees in Germany is open to all who are between 18 – 70 years old. All people from all countries and majors are welcome to join this program. This program doesn’t require any specific degree. All that’s required is a willingness to participate.
What does the program include?
Volunteer with Refugees in Germany includes the following:
- Organizing weekly workshops for refugees on educational-related subjects, such as writing resumes, writing formal emails, teaching employment skills, educational writing skills, and so on.
- Teaching conversational English to refugee children and adults at the Excellence Center.
- Organizing interactive activities, such as painting workshops, writing workshops, handicrafts, filming, and photography workshops.
- Organizing activities aimed at entertaining refugee children.
- Helping the Excellence Center’s staff in doing administration-related activities, such as writing articles, reports, printing materials for the students, etc.
What are the benefits of the program?
- Volunteer experience abroad. You will engage in organizing several types of educational activities for refugees that are aimed at improving English language skills.
- Experience the hospitality of Arabs and the Arabic culture by being a part of the Excellence Center’s educational, social, and community activities.
- The program will give you the opportunity to be in Germany, the European country that has hosted the highest number of Arab refugees in recent years. Most of these refugees have come from Syria and during your time at the Excellence Center you will be able to get to know their culture, as well as listen to their stories.
- The program provides you with a chance to visit local sites in Halle city and get to know the rich history of the city.
- At the completion of the program you will receive a participation certificate and a recommendation letter.
- Accommodation, including either staying with a local host family or at a dorm.
- Receive 3 hours of Palestinian spoken Arabic lessons per week.
- Have the chance to attend cultural evenings and several entertainment activities organized by the Center.
This program is very flexible. How so?
Volunteer with Refugees in Germany has no deadline which means you can apply to the program year-around. In addition, you are allowed to choose the state and end date for the program. The minimum period of participation is one week and the maximum period of participation is three months.
Volunteer in Germany
Place of Volunteering _________________________ Halle (Saale)
Cost Includes Breakfast, the accommodation, Arabic classes, as well as some visits to different landmarks and sites. Some examples include the Arab neighborhood, refugee dorms and public parks as well as historical sites in the city.
When? Year-Round (Winter, Summer, Autumn, Spring)
Educational Degree Not Required
Experience Not Required
Accommodation Host Family or a Dorm
Starting and Ending Dates Flexible (Volunteer's Choice)
Program's Cost 250 Euro a Week
750 Euro a Month
Volunteering duration 3 Days-12 Weeks
Volunteers Number 3-5
Which Airport Should I fly to?
The easiest way to get to the Excellence Center in Germany is to fly to Leipzig/Halle Airport. It takes about 25 minutes to get from the airport to the Excellence Center via train.
If you are coming from one of the Berlin airports, then you have two ways to get the Excellence Center. First is to come by bus. You can take a bus operated by companies such as FlixBus or Eurolines. The bus ride takes about two hours. The second choice is to come by train from the Berlin-Central Station. The train ride takes around an hour and a half.
If you are coming from a European country that has signed the Schengen agreement, then you do not need a visa to enter Germany. For those who come from countries that are a part of this program, you are permitted to stay in Germany for up to three months.
All other travelers will need to apply for a Schengen visa to enter Germany. This visa will allow you to enter and stay in Germany for a maximum period of 3 months (90 days). It is important to note that this visa prohibits visa-holders from getting a job (even as a freelance) during their stay.
How to apply for the program?
If you want to join this program, please send an email to: email@example.com Volunteer with the Refugees in Germany as the subject line. We will then send you the application form.
Find Us Online
Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Excellence Center’s Instagram account:
Excellence Center’s Facebook page:
Watch us on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsQSLdFZWZcBm6Uj0XMYuKg
Thank you very much. We would be happy to have you in Germany!