If you have the skills to teach English as a foreign language and you also desire to learn German, then this program is for you. Participating in this program does not require prior teaching experience. We will provide you with all the necessary materials so that you can hold a successful class. In this program, you will be teaching English to Germans and refugees by using interactive educational methods. At the same time, you will be learning German and given the chance to practice your language skills every day when out and about in the city of Halle.
Individuals from all over the world come to visit, study, and teach with the Excellence Center. You will not be alone in the program. There will be other internationals at the Center who share your same interest in teaching English and learning language.
By joining this program, you will gain the following:
- Valuable experience in teaching English as a foreign language. You will also learn teaching techniques and learn how to wisely plan English classes in order to achieve the best results.
- Meeting people from different countries and backgrounds, such as locals and people from Syria, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Somalia, Mali, and many other countries.
- You will have the chance to learn about the diverse cultures of the students you work with.
Will the Center help me with teaching the English classes?
This program is designed to improve and develop your teaching skills. Thus, all required materials will be provided by the Center, as well as a manual guide which will help in teaching your classes and educational workshops. We provide support for our volunteers every step of the way.
What also will this program offer to me?
- The Teach English and Learn German (TELG) program is not only an educational program. The program offers community activities as well where you can fully engage in Arab culture. The Excellence Center invites program participants to join in our educational, social, and interactive activities, in addition to our cultural evenings. The aim of these gatherings is to provide a space where locals, refugees, and program participants can meet and get to know one another.
- The Teach English and Learn German (TELG) program will offer you German language lessons given by our qualified German teachers. All curriculums and learning materials will be provided. During your time here you will get three hours of German (conversational hours) a week. These hours will improve your German language skills, whether you are a beginner, intermediate, or advanced language learner.
Do I need a teaching English as foreign language (TEFL) certificate?
No, having previous experience in teaching English is not necessary. Here you will be provided with the books, teaching guide, and all related teaching materials. Of course, the Center will provide support for you along the way as well.
This program is for those who don’t have experience in teaching English as a Foreign Language. By joining this program, participants will gain valuable experience and develop their teaching skills. In other words, this program is designed to train and equip you with the proper teaching techniques.
What I will be doing in the program?
The program requires the following:
- Teach two or three English classes (only conversation).
- Arrange and organize English-based activities that help our students to practice the language.
- Help the Centre’s staff in doing administration-related activities, such as writing articles, reports, printing materials for the students, and others assignments.
- Help local teachers with their classes, mainly to let the students practice what they learned in the class.
- Organize interactive activities, such as painting workshops, writing workshops, handicrafts, film, and photography workshops.
What will I receive?
- Gain volunteer teaching experience, as well as experience organizing educational activities aimed at enhancing our students’ English skills.
- Experience the hospitality of Arabs and the Arabic culture by being a part of the Excellence Center’s educational, social, and community activities.
- The program will give you the opportunity to be in Germany, the European country that has hosted the highest number of Arab refugees in recent years. Most of these refugees have come from Syria and during your time at the Excellence Center you will be able to get to know their culture, as well as listen to their stories.
- The program provides you with a chance to visit local sites in Halle city and get to know the rich history of the city.
- At the completion of the program you will receive a participation certificate and a recommendation letter.
- Accommodation, including either staying with a local host family or at a dorm.
- Receive 3 hours of German lessons per week.
- Have the chance to attend cultural evenings and several entertainment activities organized by the Center.
Teach English & Learn German
Place of Internship _________________________ Halle (Saale) Cost Includes Breakfast, the accommodation, German classes, as well as some visits to different landmarks and sites. Some examples include the Arab neighborhood, refugee dorms and public parks as well as historical sites in the city. When? Year-Round (Winter, Summer, Autumn, Spring) Educational Degree All Majors Are Welcome to Apply Experience Not Required Accommodation Host Family or a Dorm Starting and Ending Dates Flexible (Volunteer's Choice) Program's Cost 560 Euro a Month Age 20-75 Internship Duration 2-3 months Volunteers Number 3-5
Where the program takes place?
Beside learning German, there are many things to do here in Germany. As a student, you will have the chance to participate in social, cultural, and community activities organized by the Excellence Center. Some of these activities include engagement with refugees in the city of Halle and, particularly, with Arab refugees.
In addition, the Center organizes visits and trips to neighboring cities. These trips allow students the chance to see many historical and cultural sites in Germany. Beside all of that, Halle is a city full of cafés, restaurants, bars, and nightclubs. With so many possibilities, you are bound to enjoy your time in Germany.
Why Halle (Saale)?
Halle is a German city that has received a large number of refugees. This makes the city a very diverse place to visit because of how many different cultures are present within the city. Internationals also add to the diversity. The university in Halle is an educational destination that attracts many international students to Halle.
Refugees, immigrants, and foreigners all contribute to the beauty of cultures found in the city. During your time here, you will be able to meet and interact with many different people from different countries.
Which airport should I fly into?
The easiest way to get to the Excellence Center in Germany is to fly to Leipzig/Halle Airport. It takes about 25 minutes to get from the airport to the Excellence Center via train.
If you are coming from one of the Berlin airports, then you have two ways to get the Excellence Center. First is to come by bus. You can take a bus operated by companies such as FlixBus or Eurolines. The bus ride takes about two hours. The second choice is to come by train from the Berlin-Central Station. The train ride takes around an hour and a half.
What does the application process look like?
The application and selection process are as follows:
- The participant emails the Excellence Center to receive an application.
- The participant fills out the application and sends it back to us.
- We review the application with our team.
- We invite you for a skype call to ask you some questions.
- If selected for the program, we send you an acceptance letter and a contract.
- You sign the contract and send it back to us.
- You pay the fees.
- You are ready to come to Germany and join the program. Welcome.
Am I eligible for the program?
The Teach English and Learn German (TELG) program is open to all who are between 18 – 70 years old. All people from all countries and majors are welcome to join this program. This program doesn’t require any specific degree.
When can I apply and for how long can I intern?
This program is open year-around. You can apply at any time throughout the year. You, as the participant, also choose your start and end dates too. The minimum period of participation is two months up to three months.
Getting the application
If you want to join this program, please send us an email at: Info@eceurope.org, The Teach English and Learn German (TELG) as the subject line. We will then send you the application form.
Find Us Online
Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Watch us on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsQSLdFZWZcBm6Uj0XMYuKg
Thank you very much. We would be happy to have you in Germany!